Boy, 4, suffers horrific facial burns after £1 bath bomb 'explodes' next to candle while playing in tub

A TODDLER was left with shocking burns on his face and chest after his bath soap exploded in a freak accident.

Four-year-old Oscar Beddard was playing with spray-on bath foam in the tub when some flicked onto a bathroom candle and ignited a fireball.

Paramedics rushed the family from their home in Warrington to Liverpool’s Alder Hey Hospital where Oscar spent a week being treated for injuries on his face, neck, shoulders and chest.

Parents Jonathan, 31, and Nicola, 43, are now seeking damages from Home Bargains for selling the Bathtime Mouldable Foam Soap that triggered the horror on July 21.

The product, bought for 89p, has a “flammable aerosol” warning on the can but does not say the wet foam can catch fire, lawyers said.

Jonathan, a construction worker, said: “When the bubbles came off Oscar and hit the naked flame on the candle they exploded and basically set him on fire.

“We chucked cold water on him and called 999 and we could see the skin peeling off his body.

“It’s unbelievable. The products shouldn’t be sold if they’re that flammable – it’s a kids’ bath product. Loads of people have candles in the bathroom.”

Oscar managed to avoid skin graft surgery and is recovering well but could be left with scars and PTSD, doctors have warned the family.

His parents have to constantly apply cream to the burns and the new skin is growing back bright red.

Dad Jonathan added: “The scars are healing well but Oscar won’t go in the bath any more and he’s not himself.

“We know he’s got it going round in his head and we’re worried about what will happen to him in the long run.”

London law firm Fieldfisher has contacted Trading Standards and lodged a compensation claim with TJ Morris, which runs Home Bargains.

Personal injury lawyer Emma Hall said: “Every parent should be confident that toys and products specifically aimed at children are safe for use. This foam is clearly not.”

TJ Morris declined to comment.

    Source: Read Full Article