Mum-of-two reveals how to clean dirty sneakers using toothpaste: ‘It’s my secret weapon for perfect white shoes’
- Aussie mum Carolina McCauley is known for sharing cleaning hacks online
- In a video she used toothpaste to clean her dirty white Nike sneakers
- The toothpaste lifted brown marks and stains within minutes
- Others online were shocked by the seemingly ‘genius’ hack
A cleaning enthusiast has impressed hundreds online after opting to use toothpaste to clean her dirty Nike sneakers.
Carolina McCauley, from Perth, Western Australia, posted a video online encouraging others to try the lesser-known trick and demonstrated how it works.
‘My secret for cleaning white shoes,’ she captioned the clip showing the dark mars on her shoes.
Scroll down for video
Carolina McCauley, from Perth, Western Australia, posted a video online encouraging others to try cleaning their while soled sneakers using toothpaste
Carolina used a tiny dollop of toothpaste on an old toothbrush (left) then gently scrubbed the surface (right)
After a few minutes the toothpaste was wiped off using a clean damp cloth. The shoes were left looking brand new (pictured, right)
Carolina used a tiny dollop of toothpaste on an old toothbrush then gently scrubbed the surface.
She wiped the toothbrush in one motion starting at the front then worked her way to the back.
After a few minutes the toothpaste was wiped off using a clean damp cloth.
It’s essential to only use non-gel white toothpaste on white-soled sneakers and test a small area of the shoe beforehand.
As toothpaste can help whiten and brighten teeth, the bathroom staple also worked wonders at cleaning Carolina’s sneakers.
The simple trick would be ideal for those who take care of their sneakers but may still have a few dirt marks.
In the comments other Instagram users tagged their friends to share the hack further across the internet.
‘Lots of good ideas here,’ one person wrote.
‘Awesome. Another cool trick is to use the ‘Pink Stuff’ paste and the Magic Eraser sponge,’ another suggested.
Carolina has a gained a social media following of more than 4.8million people by sharing ‘genius’ cleaning videos.
The best way to clean sneakers
1. Use a dry brush – remove dirt from the outsole, midsole and uppers using a dry, soft-bristled shoe brush. No shoe brush? No problem—an old toothbrush will work just fine
2. Make a mild cleaning solution – mix warm water with a small amount of mild laundry detergent
3. Wash the laces – remove the laces and apply a small amount of the mild cleaning solution. Massage the laces, rinse and then dry with a soft cloth
4. Wash the soles – apply the mild solution to a soft-bristled brush and brush the outsole and midsole. Dry with a soft cloth
5. Wash and blot – use the mild solution and a soft-bristled brush or a soft cloth to clean the uppers. Then use a dry microfibre towel or soft cloth to blot and lift as much soapy moisture and dirt as possible. Repeat if necessary
6. Allow to air-dry at room temperature
While the hack is ideal for adults, it likely won’t be suitable for children’s shoes.
Last year another mum went viral on TikTok after revealing the product she swears by to clean her toddler’s filthy sneakers with ease.
The woman, who goes by the name Cleaning With Nessa on TikTok, shared a video with her 2.5million TikTok followers and used the Pink Miracle Shoe Cleaner available on Amazon Australia.
In the video her daughter’s white and pink shoes looked grubby from overuse but were restored close to the original condition after being cleaned.
‘I love a good before and after – how good is this shoe cleaner though?!’ Nessa captioned the short video.
Last year another mum went viral on TikTok after revealing the product she swears by to clean her toddler’s filthy sneakers with ease. The woman, who goes by the name Cleaning With Nessa on TikTok, shared how she cleaned her toddlers filthy shoes
In the short clip, Nessa adds a few drops of the formula to the brush then uses it to clean one shoe
According to the product description, the all-in-one Pink Miracle Shoe Cleaner Kit has been around since 1985 and is the ‘number one choice’ for sneakers and shoes.
The product comes with a hard bristled brush and pink concentrate that lift dirt and stains easily from shoes.
In the short clip, Nessa adds a few drops of the formula to the brush then uses it to clean one shoe.
After a few minutes of scrubbing, the dirt is removed and the shoe is rinsed under water to reveal the immaculate condition.
Source: Read Full Article