9.45am Chelsea transfer news LIVE: Mendy talks ongoing, Ziyech and Chilwell OUT vs Brighton, Declan Rice latest – The Sun

CHELSEA look set to be without Hakim Ziyech and Ben Chilwell when they kick-off the new season against Brighton.

While Rennes have confirmed they are in talks with the Blues to sell Edouard Mendy.

Sign up to play Dream Team 20/21 now

  • It's completely free to play
  • Play the tradtional Season game as well as Draft
  • There's a hefty jackpot up for grabs across 2020/21
  • SIGN UP TO PLAY HERE

Get all the latest transfer gossip and updates from Stamford Bridge…

  • BAT FLIES WITH EAGLES

    Michy Batshuayi has passed his medical at Crystal Palace ahead of his return to Selhurst Park on loan.

    The Belgian striker, 26, arrives fresh off a two-goal haul for his country against Iceland.

    According to Belgian publication Het Nieuwsblad, he has passed his tests and will be unveiled as a Palace player soon.

    Batshuayi signed a contract extension at Chelsea recently, with the club hoping to make money out of selling him eventually.

  • WE'RE NOT LIKE YOU GUYS

    Jurgen Klopp has told Chelsea that Liverpool won’t even try and match their spending power.

    The Premier League-winning gaffer said: “For some clubs it seems less important how uncertain the future is. Owned by countries, owned by oligarchs, that's the truth. We are a different kind of club.'

    “We got to the Champions League final two years ago, we won it last year.

    “We became Premier League champions last season by being the club we are.

    “We cannot change it overnight and say ‘now we want to behave like Chelsea.’

    “They are signing a lot of players. That can be an advantage, but that means they have to fit together.”

  • FAN PLAN IN BALANCE

    Prem boss Richard Masters has admitted he is in the dark over when fans will be allowed back into grounds, reports MARTIN LIPTON.

    League chiefs had hoped to open all turnstiles from October 1 with a staged return of supporters for the first time since March.

    Clubs including Spurs and Manchester United were keen to run trials of selected fans at their opening home game of the campaign this month.

    But with the Government having banned “social” gatherings of more than six people and Doncaster races putting the final three days of the St Leger meeting behind closed doors, Masters was unable to say how it will affect Prem plans.

    He said: “We are always subject to a government decision and they haven't made that decision yet.

    “All I can say is that the Premier League and the Premier League clubs stand ready willing and able to continue with our test events and test proposals and open our turnstiles from October 1 if we are given permission to do so.”

  • COLLARED

    Chelsea are offering fans an exchange on any shirts bought at the club's store with 'Pulisic 22' written on them.

    Because the Blues wore their new shirt at the end of last season, it meant that Pulisic played a few games with that number on and the shirt was on sale at the time.

    But he has since been offered the No10 jersey at Chelsea and the club are offering a free exchange for a new shirt.

    The club said: “For those who purchased from the Stadium Megastore at Stamford Bridge, simply return the 2020/21 home or away shirt with proof of purchase in person for a replacement.”

  • GOOD MORNING CHELSEA FANS

    Rennes have confirmed they are in talks with Chelsea to sell Edouard Mendy.

    President Nicolas Holveck said: “We’ve started official negotiations with Chelsea to sell Edouard Mendy.

    “We know the player wants to leave [and join Chelsea].

    “But the agreement at the moment is not 100 per cent completed between the three parties.”

    Despite the news, Kepa Arrizabalaga is reportedly ready to fight Edouard Mendy to be Chelsea’s number one.

    According to The Telegraph’s Matt Law on the London is Blue podcast, the Spaniard has no intention of leaving Stamford Bridge and is happy to stay and fight for his place.

    Kepa’s camp reportedly feel that he would relish and even benefit from the increased competition for a starting spot.

    There is also little suggestion that the 25-year-old would ask to leave Chelsea because of his good relationship with boss Frank Lampard.

    Meanwhile Lamps himself has been heaping praise on new boy Kai Havertz but warned fans the German will need time to settle.

    He told the club's website: “Kai is a really exciting signing for myself and for the club first and foremost.

    “He is a player I have been aware of for a long time and as a fellow attacking midfield player, I have paid particular attention to those type of players for some time.

    “I was aware of his talent and in conjunction with the club, we know how we want to go forward and look to improve in the right areas, and for players who are going to be here hopefully to improve and mature, but are already at a very high level, he absolutely fitted the bill for us, so I am delighted to have him.”

  • LEAGUES BEHIND

    Premier League clubs have been warned they are staring at a £1.25BILLION financial black hole.

    And League chief Richard Masters admitted things will get even worse if, as now expected, turnstiles cannot be opened at all next month.

    The Government is set to plunge cash-strapped EFL clubs into further chaos by cutting capacities at planned test events to 1,000.

    Hopes that Prem gates would be partially opened to allow up to 25 per cent of fans inside grounds next month also seem doomed as the battle to prevent a second wave of Covid-19 intensifies.

    And while the season will start as planned on Saturday, Masters admitted: “Our clubs lost £700million in 2019-20 and that creates significant difficulties.

    “If we can only get 25 per cent of fans in this season it would cost another £547m.

    “The longer that fans are outside the stadium in numbers, the more significant the financial impact on clubs.

    “There is perhaps a perception that the Premier League can perpetually stage financial difficulties – but that isn’t the case.”

  • FRANKLY SPEAKING

    Chelsea boss Frank Lampard has also refused to be drawn on the comparisons between himself and Kai Havertz.

    He told the club's website: “It is very easy to make those comparisons.

    “I know he is hungry to score goals and make assists so I have already had those conversations with him, but I do think we are quite different in our styles.

    “Kai can probably start in more forward areas than I started in. I liked to come from deep as a midfield player, and a lot of Kai’s really good play in the last few seasons as he has broken through at Leverkusen has been in a slightly advanced no.10 role, or slightly wider areas or more in a striker kind of area of late.

    “So I think there are differences in our game and styles but in terms of what we try to bring to the team, it is pretty similar in terms of productivity in goals and assists.

    “Michael Ballack was a a good player for us in terms of what he contributed and we have all got really good memories of Bally when he was at the club and what he did for us, but Kai is going to be his own player and his own person.

    “He has his own style and he is very unique in terms of that, which really excites me to work with him, in terms of him going forward.”

  • TO BE FRANK

    Frank Lampard has hailed Chelsea new boy Kai Havertz but warned fans the German will need time to settle.

    He told the club's website: “Kai is a really exciting signing for myself and for the club first and foremost.

    “He is a player I have been aware of for a long time and as a fellow attacking midfield player, I have paid particular attention to those type of players for some time.

    “I was aware of his talent and in conjunction with the club, we know how we want to go forward and look to improve in the right areas, and for players who are going to be here hopefully to improve and mature, but are already at a very high level, he absolutely fitted the bill for us, so I am delighted to have him.”

  • TOP VIC

    Victor Moses has donated £20,000 to struggling former side Wigan Athletic.

    The cash-strapped club is in dire straits after administrators were summoned in July, resulting in a 12-point penalty and relegation from the Championship to League One.

    They are desperately looking for new owners to reverse their fortunes.

    But in the meantime, a Supporters’ Club Crowdfunder page has been set up to raise cash and save Wigan from going under.

    Former Lactics favourites including Roberto Martinez, Reece James and James McClean have all stepped forward with donations.

    And now Moses has given £20k to the fundraiser in a touching gesture.

    Wigan tweeted: “Thank you Victor Moses. Victor has pledged a significant donation to Save Our Club!”

    The Chelsea wing-back, 29, starred for Wigan between 2010 and 2012.

  • ONE FOR AL

    Chelsea target David Alaba could reportedly be sold by Bayern Munich.

    The Austria international, who is set to enter the final year of his deal, has been stalling on a contract extension at the Allianz Arena.

    According to BILD, the defender wants to become one of Bayern's top earners if he agrees to pen new terms.

    Failing that, Alaba is said to be keen to ensure that Munich pick up a transfer fee rather than lose him for nothing next summer.

  • WERNING LIGHT

    Pat Nevin has suggested that Chelsea’s new signing Timo Werner could hit the ground running and be “on fire” for the start of the Premier League.

    He told the club's official website: “It is hard not to be excited by Timo Werner for a kick off.

    “He scores in his first outing for the Blues against Brighton and then follows it up with a superb striker’s goal for Germany against Spain. He could well start the season on fire.”

  • KLOPP ON

    Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has cast doubt over Chelsea's summer transfer business.

    He told Radio 5Live: “We live in a world at the moment with a lot of uncertainty.

    “For some clubs it seems to be less important how uncertain the future is. Owned by countries, owned by oligarchs, that's the truth.

    “We're a different kind of club. We got to the Champions League final two years ago, we won it last year and become Premier League champions by bring led the way we are leaded.

    “We cannot change it overnight and say, 'so now we want to behave like Chelsea, now we want to behave like them.'

    “That can be an advantage of course, but that means they have to fit together pretty quick as well.

    “It's not all about bringing in quality, you cannot bring in the 11 best players in the world and just hope a week later they will play the best football they ever will play.

    “It's about working together on the training ground, that will probably be an advantage for us, we work quite a while with each other.

    “I know people don't want to hear that but we did it for our own club reasons.

    “We always want to improve the squad but there are different ways.”

  • KEEP FIGHTING

    Kepa Arrizabalaga is reportedly ready to fight Edouard Mendy to be Chelsea’s number one.

    According to The Telegraph’s Matt Law on the London is Blue podcast, the Spaniard has no intention of leaving Stamford Bridge and is happy to stay and fight for his place.

    Kepa’s camp reportedly feel that he would relish and even benefit from the increased competition for a starting spot.

    There is also little suggestion that the 25-year-old would ask to leave Chelsea because of his good relationship with boss Frank Lampard.

  • FEELING BLUE

    Chelsea are set to be without two of their biggest summer signings for their Premier League opener.

    According to the Athletic, both Ben Chilwell and Hakim Ziyech are set to miss Monday's game against Brighton.

    England defender Chilwell signed for Chelsea while recovering from an heel injury sustained playing for Leicester and is still a fortnight away from returning.

    While Ziyech is expected to be out of action for the next few weeks after sustaining a knock during a pre-season friendly – ironically against Brighton.

  • KAI FOR NOW

    Former Bayern Leverkusen coach Wolfgang Holzhauser has claimed Kai Havertz may use Chelsea as a stepping stone to Real Madrid or Barcleona.

    As reported by Goal, he said: “I would have preferred to see him at a team which plays more ‘Pep Guardiola football’, a team which is more known for huge ball possession. That is his game.

    “And it does not mean that clubs like Real and Barca will not be of interest to Kai Havertz in the future. He is only 21 years old.

    “For now, it was important for Havertz to take the next logical step in his development after three years as a regular in Leverkusen.”

  • NO HEN PARTY

    Former Chelsea target Victor Osimhen reportedly rejected Manchester United before joining Napoli because of Odion Ighalo.

    The 21-year-old forward moved to the Italians in a £54million move this summer.

    But his brother, Andrew Osimhen, claims the Red Devils also wanted him but he had no interest because of his respect for his fellow Nigerian.

    Andrew told Complete Sports: “It is very true that Manchester United wanted Victor but he told me something like he had too much respect for Odion Ighalo to be competing for shirts with his senior colleague.

    “My brother holds Ighalo in high esteem and he just didn't see himself going to Old Trafford to battle for a striking role with the highest goalscorer at the 2019 AFCON in Egypt.”

  • GAME OVER

    Football fans’ hopes of returning to stadiums next month have been dashed due to the spike in Covid cases.

    Clubs were due to let in a quarter of their stadium’s capacity from October 1 under plans to socially distance fans.

    But Downing Street has put the plans on hold after government scientists deemed the prevalence of the virus was too high to let fans back so soon.

    Some of the current sporting events that are carrying out pilots for the return of fans will still go ahead – such as horse racing, cricket and some football games.

    However crowds for the pilot games will be capped at 1,000, Boris Johnson announced today.

    The move delivers a major blow for millions of fans ahead of the start of the 2020/21 football season, which starts this weekend.

    Mr Johnson said the Government will “revise plans to pilot larger audiences later this month” and they will review intention to allow audiences back to stadiums.

  • BATSMAN

    Roberto Martinez has described Chelsea star Michy Batshuayi as a ‘natural goal-scorer’ after his brace in Belgium’s 5-1 win over Iceland.

    Speaking about the Crystal Palace-bound striker, the former Everton boss told RTL: “Michy Batshuayi has proven again that he is a real goal-scorer and his performances in the national team speak for themselves.

    “I am very happy with his performance.”

  • HAV TO ASK

    Christian Pulisic is in line to get Chelsea's No10 jersey while new signing Kai Havertz has asked for his old number.

    After Eden Hazard left to join Real Madrid last summer, Brazilian Willian took the coveted No10.

    But following his free transfer to Arsenal, The Athletic say Pulisic will now take over the jersey.

    The 21-year-old wears the No10 while captaining America, but had 22 in his first season at Chelsea.

    Hakim Ziyech, 27, who the Blues signed from Ajax in February, wore No22 during a pre-season friendly against Brighton.

    The winger had the same number playing for Ajax, and will likely inherit it from Pulisic at Stamford Bridge.

    Frank Lampard's newest signing, 21-year-old Kai Havertz, is believed to have asked for the No29 when he signed from Bayer Leverkusen.

    He wore that number in Germany, and Chelsea's current No29 Fikayo Tomori is said to have had no worries giving it up.

  • MEND IS NIGH

    Rennes have confirmed they are in talks with Chelsea to sell Edouard Mendy.

    President Nicolas Holveck said: “We’ve started official negotiations with Chelsea to sell Edouard Mendy.

    “We know the player wants to leave [and join Chelsea].

    “But the agreement at the moment is not 100 per cent completed between the three parties.”

  • PAIR KO

    Hakim Ziyech and Ben Chilwell are almost certain to miss the start of the season.

    As SunSport and various outlets have reported over the last 48 hours, the pair are injured and not being considered for Monday night's game in Brighton.

    Ziyech injured his knee in a pre-season friendly, ironically against Brighton.

    And Chilwell was signed with a pre-existing heel injury and has only just begun on-pitch training at Cobham.

  • ESSIEN CONFIRMED

    The former Blues midfielder is stepping up as a coach of Danish side Nordsjaelland.

    As reported earlier, is is the Ghanian's first foray into coaching.

  • REIN IT IN

    The BBC have banned sports commentators from using “racist” phrases including cakewalk, sold down the river and nitty gritty.

    In an 'avoiding racial bias' training session, commentators and co-commentators were given a list of terms that must be avoided.

    The Daily Mail reports that in the online training session staff were instructed to stop using “pace” and/or “power” to describe black players.

    This can be deemed as racial stereotyping,

    A guide was sent out to attendees which read: “Is there a danger of spreading a perception that black players' success is purely based on their athleticism and doesn't require hard work and intelligence?

    “Do you need to spend more time thinking about how to explain the variety of reasons for a black player's success?”

    CLICK HERE TO READ THE FULL STORY

  • BAT'S MORE LIKE IT

    Michy Batshuayi was pleased with his outing for Belgium as they brushed aside Iceland in the Nations League.

    Iceland scored first but the Red Devils thundered back into the game, with the Chelsea striker scoring two.

    View this post on Instagram

    Best way to celebrate wearing the @belgianreddevils kit 🥋 #ReadyForEurope #COMEONBELGIUM 🇧🇪🔥

    A post shared byMichy Batshuayi (@mbatshuayi) on

  • KIT'S NOT OKAY

    Tottenham, Chelsea and Liverpool have the most expensive kits in the Premier League as Nike are revealed as the dearest in the top flight.

    Manchester United's will set fans back around £13 less, but the cost of kids' kits is set to hit triple figures for the first time.

    CLICK HERE TO READ OUR IN DEPTH FEATURE ON EACH TEAM'S UNIFORM PRICING

Source: Read Full Article