Five possible opponents for Mike Tyson as big comeback announced for September including Evander Holyfield

BOXING legend Mike Tyson is set to return to the ring later this year – but the Baddest Man on the Planet is currently without an opponent.

The former undisputed heavyweight champion of the world returned to action last November for an exhibition bout with Roy Jones Jr, his first fight in over 15 years.


And Tyson's current coach – legendary MMA trainer Rafael Cordeiro – recently revealed they're training for a September outing.

He told MMA Fighting: "We continue training. He's an athlete and is always training, hitting pads here in the gym.

"I think we're going to have something in September."

'I don't know who because his company Legends Only League is working on it and negotiating a TV deal so they can announce a schedule, but we're training.

"We'll be fighting in September."

Several names are in the running to face Iron Mike, so SunSport thought it'd only be right to reveal some of the frontrunners to face the 54-year-old.

CASINO SIGN UP OFFER: GET £10 FREE BONUS WITH NO DEPOSIT REQUIRED

Evander Holyfield

Tyson's old rival Evander Holyfield is gearing up to make his own return to the squared circle this year.

The Real Deal will be welcomed back to the ring later this year by Kevin McBride, who was the final opponent of Tyson's professional career.

The pair's clash was due to take place on June 5 but has not yet been rescheduled.

If Holyfield gets through the fight unscathed – or if the contest is cancelled – there's a chance a trilogy fight with Tyson come to fruition.

Lennox Lewis

In April, Tyson claimed his second exhibition would be a rematch with his old foe Lennox Lewis.

Lewis subsequently confirmed he's open to accepting the fight and revealed talks are ongoing.

When asked if a deal was in place, he told Fox Sports: “Not yet, but soon — maybe. We’re talking."

But both men have gone quiet on the bout, which would be a watered-down version of their June 2002 clash.

Shannon Briggs

Shannon Briggs threw his name into the hat to welcome Tyson back to the ring last year but was ultimately snubbed in favour of Jones Jr.

And The Cannon is still eager to face his fellow New Yorker, recently calling for the fight on Instagram.

In a video of himself hitting the bag, Briggs said: "They hatin’ on me. I don’t know why they won’t give me a shot.

“Come on y’all, give me a shot.”

James Toney

Former three-weight world champion James Toney is also one of the many fighters interested in sharing the ring with Tyson.

Lights Out called out Tyson in March, telling him: "You better not wear a mini-skirt to our fight. No jokes. Lights Out!"

Toney made a beeline for Tyson and Holyfield last May after the pair announced their respective intentions to return to the ring.

He said: “To all those bringing up my name in these exhibition fight, count me in.

"If they want to do it, give me a call. I ain’t going nowhere.”

Wladimir Klitschko

Former unified heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko has been teasing a return to the ring ever since his retirement from the sport in 2017.

So an exhibition against one of the fighters he used to look up to could be the perfect way for him to get back into the ring without taking too much damage.

The Ukrianian, 45, hasn't appeared to be training much as of late.

But he recently teased a return in January in a motivational Instagram post, in which he asked: "You know what people love to see more than anything in this world? “A comeback!!!”

    Source: Read Full Article