LUIS ORTIZ returns to the ring in a big heavyweight fight with fellow contender Charles Martin on New Year's Day.
Ortiz hasn't been in the ring since the summer when he knocked out his opponent Alexander Flores in just one round.
JOIN SUN VEGAS: GET A FREE £10 BONUS WITH 100s OF GAMES TO PLAY AND NO DEPOSIT REQUIRED (Ts&Cs apply)
Before that, Ortiz lost via 7th-round KO to former heavyweight champ Deontay Wilder.
Martin has fought six times since his world title loss to Anthony Joshua back in 2016, winning five of those bouts, including one against Gerald Washington on the Wilder-Fury 2 undercard.
And now Ortiz and Martin clash for the chance to assert themselves into heavyweight title picture in 2022.
When is Luis Ortiz vs Charles Martin?
- Ortiz's big heavyweight clash with Charles Martin will take place on Saturday, January 1 2022.
- The bout will be held at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Hollywood, Florida.
- Fans in the UK can expect to see the fight in the early hours of the morning on Sunday, January 2.
What channel is it and can it be live streamed?
- Fite.TV will be showing the fight in the UK.
- The event will cost $12.99 (£9.60) to watch.
- The fight is likely to get underway close to 4am GMT.
Ortiz vs Martin MAIN CARD
- Luis Ortiz vs Charles Martin (12 rounds – heavyweight)
- Frank Sanchez vs Carlos Negron (10 rounds – heavyweight)
- Gerald Washington vs Ali Eren Demirezen (10 rounds – heavyweight)
Most read in Boxing
Boxer Ebanie Bridges rages at Instagram after saucy snap results in warning
Tyson Fury teases next fight announcement with Saudi Arabia hint
Paul reveals four goals for 2022 including 'save Mayweather from bankruptcy'
UK boxing SUSPENDED in January due to Covid with Eubank Jr fight rescheduled
What have they said?
“I can’t wait to give my fans in South Florida a great show on New Year’s Day and earn another shot at the heavyweight title,” said Ortiz.
“Charles Martin is a good fighter, but he’s standing in my way.
"The only thing on my mind is getting in the ring and making a big statement in this fight to show again why the heavyweight division fears me.”
“Nobody wants to fight me, and nobody wants to fight Ortiz, so we’ll fight each other,” said Martin.
“I’m going to show the world on January 1 why I deserve a title shot. I’ve paid my dues, and I want my belt back. Beating Ortiz is going to get me one step closer to that goal.
"To become a two-time heavyweight champion, I have to get past Ortiz first, so that’s exactly what I’m going to do.”
Source: Read Full Article