Peter Wright says Michael van Gerwen’s PDC darts axe ‘was not a surprise’

Peter Wright has said that Michael van Gerwen's withdrawal from the PDC Darts World Championship 'was not a surprise'.

The three-time world champion was forced to pull out of the tournament on Tuesday after her had tested positive for Covid, giving Chris Dobey a bye to the round of 16.

Van Gerwen's positive test came just two days after his compatriot Vincent van der Voort had also been forced out of the tournament with Covid.

The pair had spent Christmas Day together in London at their manager's home and this meant Van Gerwen's positive test was not a surprise to Wright.

Speaking after his third-round win over Damon Heta, Wright said: “I think I was having a practice on stage and then the guys heard, obviously, unfortunately, that Michael’s tested positive for Covid.

“Just goes to show you it’s just like, even in this room, it’s a bit small, lucky you know we’ve got a door open, try and get some ventilation in here and stuff like that.

“Hence why I’m wearing a mask, you’ve got to keep yourself away from this virus that spreads like anything.

“It come up with Vincent the other day but Michael was going to be with Vincent over Christmas and practicing together so it wasn’t a shock as much, in my eyes anyway.”

Should the PDC Darts World Championship be postponed? Let us know in the comments section below.

Wright came from behind to seal a 4-2 win other the Australian to set up a tie with Ryan Searle for a place in the quarter-finals.

Van der Voort and Van Gerwen were the first two players to test positive for Covid while still in this year's tournament and were joined by a third on Wednesday morning.

Dave Chisnall is also now out of the tournament after testing positive ahead of his meeting with Luke Humphries on Wednesday afternoon.

Raymond van Barneveld also tested positive last week, however, this came after he had been eliminated from the tournament in the second round.

Source: Read Full Article