KATE GARRAWAY'S husband Derek Draper is unfortunately still in hospital fighting coronavirus since contracting it in March 2020.
The Good Morning Britain star has bravely opened up about her husband's life-threatening condition on a number of occasions – and on July 13 made the difficult decision to go back to work after a four-month break.
What is the latest on Kate Garraway's husband Derek draper?
On July 28, 2020, Kate told her co-host Ben Shephard that her husband is "stable" but his condition has not improved in recent weeks.
The GMB host revealed she had visited her sick husband Derek in hospital on Monday, July 27.
Kate said doctors had assured her Derek's condition had not worsened.
She said: "They said sometimes a day when nothing has gone backwards, and nothing has gone wrong is a positive day.
"I am desperate for a step forward and I'm sure he is always too. But it's always lovely to see him and so it's wonderful to have the chance to do that."
Kate emotionally revealed that it was their son Billy's actual birthday on July 28 and how Derek would love to be able to be there for his son.
Speaking to Good Housekeeping on Billy's birthday,Lorraine Kelly said: "My friend and colleague Kate Garraway has been so strong. She pops into my head a lot.
She added: "Her situation is so hard on her and her kids."
Timeline of Derek Draper's coronavirus battle
- March 30: Derek rushed to hospital after testing positive for coronavirus.
- Mid April: Derek was admitted to intensive care four days later. He entered a coma as his condition deteriorated.
- May 1: Kate shared that Derek is still unresponsive.
- May 28: The GMB presenter said that Derek is still in a coma and under the care of the NHS but that she is hopeful.
- May 31: Kate revealed she has been forced to find new ways to keep her kids strong as Derek remains critical.
- June 2: Kate is urged to "have hope" as her fans send her uplifting stories.
- June 5: Kate made an emotional appearance on GMB to tell viewers that her husband is "very very sick" but "Covid free", and that they are not sure if "he will recover".
- June 6: Kate told The Sun that Derek may be locked in a coma forever after coronavirus "attacked everything".
- June 7: Kate also revealed to The Sun that her son, Billy, 10, sleeps beside his dad's empty bed while he is in a coronavirus coma.
- June 14: Piers Morgan writes in his Daily Mail column that Kate doesn't know if Derek will ever come home.
- July 5: Kate revealed that Derek has woken from the coma and is now opening his eyes.
- July 8: Kate goes on GMB to talk about Derek being out of coma but how it is "a miracle he is still alive".
- July 13: Kate returns to GMB.
- July 14: Kate reveals she will be visiting Derek in hospital.
- July 19: Kate revealed her heartache at Derek missing their son's birthday.
- July 21: Kate revealed her husband heard her voice when nurses put GMB on for him. She also revealed that she would be visiting him for a second time.
- July 22: Kate's Global radio colleague Roman Kemp revealed that her kids are going through a "tough time".
- July 27: On GMB, Kate reveals she is "at her limit" after acar tyre blowout on the motorway. The terrifying blowout occurred when Kate was driving back to the hospital to visit Derek after taking their children on a trip to Kent.
- July 28: Kate reveals Derek is stable but hasn't improved, but that she visited him in hospital a day earlier despite her car blowout.
What else do we know about Kate Garraway's husband Derek Draper's time in hospital?
Appearing from her home in North London in June, an emotional Kate recalled her final words to Derek before doctors put him in an induced coma.
She said: "He couldn't really speak to me because of the mask, but he was begging me, 'I feel like I'm suffocating, please let them put me in a coma', because there was a debate about that.
"But I said 'no we've got to wait' because if his lungs can handle it that's better.
"Then on the Sunday morning they rang me up and said we're going to be putting him in a coma, and he just said to me 'I love you, I am sorry I have to leave you', and I said 'it's only for three or four days and you're going to fine this is good, this is good. This is what you wanted, to rest.'"
Kate went on: "He said to me 'you have saved my life, I don't just mean now I mean everything. Being married to you and the children.'
"And I said, 'I love you I love you' and then he was gone and that was it. He was under."
The GMB presenter also shared the last words Derek said to their two kids Darcy and Bill before he was taken away in the ambulance.
She revealed: "Derek told them 'you're the best children anyone could ask for, be good for mum, look after her' and that was it. He went straight to intensive care."
Kate and her family have been able to visit Derek twice since he was admitted. According to Kate, Derek was "stable" during her last visit on July 27, although he hasn't made any improvements for the past few weeks.
Many stars such as Piers Morgan and Ben Shephard, who Kate hosts Good Morning Britain with, have sent their best wishes to the star and her husband.
Piers tweeted: “This breaks my heart. Few happier, more positive people than @kategarraway. Or a more loyal, decent friend & colleague.
"So many families like hers going through so much unimaginable anguish in this crisis. Sending all my love to Kate & continuing to root for Derek."
She’s thanked everyone for their ongoing support and wished other families going through similar struggles her best wishes.
Source: Read Full Article