SQUID Game creator Hwang Dong-hyuk has revealed the inspiration behind the hit Netflix horror series' name comes from a childhood game he played.
The dystopian series from Korea is on course to become the platform’s biggest show ever, surpassing Bridgerton, The Queen’s Gambit and Stranger Things.
The nine-episode drama, which landed on the streaming service on September 17, is one of the most harrowing series Netflix has put added to it's offerings.
And now, the series creator told RadioTimes.com that the show and its name was inspired by a game he played in the schoolyard.
Hwang began: "Squid Game is a game I used to play as a child in the schoolyard or the streets of the neighbourhood.
"This is a story about people who used to play this game as children and return to play it as adults.
"It was one of the most physical and it was also one of my favourite games. I felt that this game could be the most symbolic children’s game that could represent the kind of society we live in today."
Hwang then added that he first developed the show in 2008, completing the first draft of the project the following year.
"I was reading a lot of comic books, and I finished the script in 2009," he added. "At the time, it seemed very unfamiliar and violent.
"There were people who thought it was a little too complex and not commercial. I wasn’t able to get enough investment and casting was difficult.
"I dabbled in it for about a year, but I had to put it to sleep then."
- The best series on Netflix
- The best movies on Netflix
- New on Netflix: What to watch this week
The series is out now on Netflix and involves players fighting to the death for a huge cash prize.
The show sees the characters receive an invitation to join a mysterious and deadly survival game is sent to people at risk who are in dire need of money.
456 participants from all walks of life are locked into a secret location where they play games in order to win 45.6 billion won (£28 million).
Every game is a Korean traditional children's game such as Red Light, Green Light, but the consequence of losing is death.
Squid Game is available to stream now on Netflix.
What’s on Netflix, Disney+ and Amazon Prime?
Looking for a new Netflix series to binge or the best movies to watch on Amazon Prime? We have you covered…
- New on Netflix: The best series and films released every day
- The best movies on Netflix to watch right now
- The best series to watch on Netflix
- The most terrifying horrors to watch on Netflix right now
- The best documentaries to watch on Netflix right now
- The best comedies to watch on Netflix right now
- The best thrillers to watch on Netflix right now
- The best kids' shows on Netflix to watch right now
- The best true crime series to watch on Netflix
- The best movies to watch on Amazon Prime
- The best series to watch on Amazon Prime
- The best series on Disney+
Source: Read Full Article