Coronavirus news LIVE: Global death toll hits 10,000 as key worker list released – Covid19 latest – The Sun

THE global death toll from coronavirus is now more than 10,000 while in the UK 144 people have died.

Academics from John Hopkins University say the number of confirmed cases across the world is fast approaching 250,000.

The US uni has been tracking data relating to the outbreak since late last year.

Italy, with its 60 million citizens, has now overtaken China to have the most deaths from the virus. It has recorded 3,405 deaths, exceeding the 3,248 in China, a country with a population more than 20 times larger.

In the UK, the government has released a list of the key workers whose children will be allowed back to school allowing their parents to continue to play a crucial role in Britain's fight against coronavirus.

The working heroes include nurses, police officers and delivery drivers. Their children will be exempt from the decision to close classrooms from Monday to stop the spread of the deadly bug.

Meanwhile, Health Secretary Matt Hancock has said the NHS is set to receive 2.6 million masks and 10,000 bottles of hand sanitiser as the death toll from the coronavirus reached 144.

It comes after Boris Johnson told the nation that we can "turn the tide" on the coronavirus in 12 weeks – as long as the public follows the government's key measures.

Read our live blog for all the latest coronavirus news and updates.

  • MORE DIAGNOSED IN SCOTLAND

    The number of Scots who have been diagnosed with Covid-19 has jumped to 322.

    First Minister Nicola Sturgeon revealed the new total, up by 56 from Thursday, as she gave a briefing on coronavirus.

    It comes as schools across Scotland closed down to help deal with the spread of the disease.

  • HELP PEOPLE WITH SIGHT LOSS, CHARITY URGES

    Charity Guide Dogs is urging members of the public to support people with sight loss during the Covid-19 pandemic.

    The organisation is adapting one of its key services, MyGuide, which provides social interaction for people living with sight loss.

    Around half of people who rely on the MyGuide service are over 70.

    Instead of a face-to-face service, volunteers will speak over the telephone to those in need.

    While this is being set up, the charity is also doing weekly check-ins and urging people to check on friends, family and neighbours with sight loss by phone or video in the first instance.

    Clive Wood, who uses the service, said: “I know first-hand how loneliness and isolation can impact people living with sight loss.

    “Unfortunately, the times we are living in only add to these challenges. 

    “Things like going out to get shopping pose a real issue.

    “Please make sure to contact your friends, family or neighbours with a vision impairment by phone as regularly as you can.”

  • STAND DOWN

    Earlier today, we reported that the ceremonial Changing of the Guard won't take place during the coronavirus crisis.

    The palace says the spectacle, which also takes place at St James's Palace in London and Windsor Castle, is being postponed until further notice “in line with Government advice to avoid mass gatherings”.

    The Royal Gardens at Highgrove, the country house of the Prince of Wales and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, are also closing until at least the end of June.

    A statement on the Highgrove website said the decision was taken following Government guidance and was “in the best interest of our guests”.

    And this year's Royal International Air Tattoo, which was due to take place from 17 to 19 July at RAF Fairford in Gloucestershire, has also been cancelled.

    The organisers said the decision had “not been taken lightly”, adding that the event relied on the support of “medical professionals, military security teams and our emergency services, many of whom are delivering a fundamental contribution to fighting this crisis. We believe delivery of our event would distract them from this. “

  • NURSES 'SPAT AT'

    This is unbelievable to report, but apparently nurses are being spat at by members of the public who go into hospitals.

    Chief Nursing Officer for England Ruth May urged members of the public to play a part in the fight against Covid-19.

    She said she's heard of reports that people are assaulting nurses who are “working very hard” by spitting at them.

    In an interview with Sky News, Ms May said NHS workers also need to be able to shop for food after shifts.

    “There are many, many nurses like that critical care nurse last night who are working many hours,” she said.

    “We're asking all supermarkets to allow all of our healthcare workers easy access to buy their food and vegetables.

    “I'd also make a plea for all the public to show a kindness.

    “We've heard that people are spitting at our nurses, this is just not right, they are working very hard. I would want to make sure we all play a part in this coronavirus fight.”

  • STAY INFORMED ABOUT CORONAVIRUS

    Get the latest coronavirus news, facts and figures from around the world – plus essential advice for you and your family.

    To receive our Covid-19 newsletter in your inbox every tea time, sign up here.

    To follow us on Facebook, simply 'Like' our Coronavirus page.

Source: Read Full Article