Louisville settles Breonna Taylor’s wrongful-death lawsuit

The city of Louisville, Kentucky, has settled a wrongful-death lawsuit filed by the family of Breonna Taylor, the 26-year-old black EMT gunned down by cops during a botched raid in her apartment, according to reports.

The “substantial” financial settlement is expected to be announced at a 2 p.m. press conference at Mayor Greg Fischer’s office, with Taylor’s family and attorneys Ben Crump, Sam Aguilar and Lonita Baker, the Courier Journal reported.

“The city’s response in this case has been delayed and it’s been frustrating, but the fact that they’ve been willing to sit down and talk significant reform was a step in the right direction and hopefully a turning point,” Aguilar told CNN as he confirmed a settlement.

News of the settlement comes as a grand jury has been weighing whether to file criminal charges against the officers involved in the March 13 shooting.

The three cops — Jonathan Mattingly, Brett Hankison and Myles Cosgrove — burst into Taylor’s apartment while executing a no-knock warrant and opened fire, killing the woman while she slept.

Hankinson, who fired 10 shots, was later fired. Mattingly and Cosgrove remain on administrative reassignment.

Taylor’s boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, returned fire at the plainclothes cops, saying he did not know they were police officers. Charges against Walker were later dropped.

Police said officers believed Taylor’s ex-boyfriend Jamarcus Glover had been using her apartment to stash drugs and cash, but nothing was found.

Share this article:

Source: Read Full Article