A HEARTBROKEN mum and dad have paid tribute to their "beautiful"baby boy who died after being starved of oxygen for around 50 minutes.
An inquest ruled that failings at Blackpool Victoria Hospital contributed to little Finnley James Adam Morris's death.
Finnley was born at 12.22am on October 1 last year after his mum Emma Morris was induced.
He was delivered with forceps after Mrs Morris reported pelvic pain and a change in her baby's movements, an inquest heard.
The newborn baby's brain suffered fatal damage due to the lack of blood supply and oxygen.
Finnley died on October 5 after being transferred to the Royal Preston Hospital, Lancashire Live reports.
Other failings that led to his death including missing equipment and a doctor being unable to secure his airway, the inquest at Blackpool Town Hall was told.
The four-day inquest was told several minutes were wasted in intubating Finnley because paediatric consultant Sunitha Peiris had forgotten her reading glasses.
Registrar Dr Suriya Dhulipala, had failed to intubate Finnley prior to being joined by the consultant.
Coroner Alan Wilson ruled that missed opportunities to treat Finnley led to his death.
The effect of our loss will forever be felt throughout our lives. Instead of celebrating birthdays and milestones with our son, we are forced to do so at his graveside
Dr Peiris arrived at the hospital 30 minutes after Finnley was delivered and she immediately asked why he hadn't already been intubated.
Baby Finnley only received oxygen 49 minutes after he was born while a second attempt to intubate him was successful.
The coroner concluded that Finnley had suffered a period of around five minutes of asphyxiation before being born due to cord compression.
He said: "There was a gross failing prior to 0.47am when the situation became unsurvivable.
"The registrar was waiting for the consultant and there was a failure of airway management.
"Intubation wasn't attempted and only really happened later when the consultant arrived.
"When the consultant arrived she appreciated the need for intubation. So yes, this amounted to a gross failing in the role of the registrar.
"Another gross failing was that there was no leadership until the consultant arrived."
Finnley died from "a catastrophic brain injury, his death having been contributed to by neglect", the coroner concluded.
After the inquest, dad Adam Morris issued a statement saying Finnley's death would be "forever felt throughout our lives."
He said: “The past 12 months have been hell for me and my wife.
"Our son Finnley never stood a chance of surviving, due to an unforgivable catalogue of errors that should never have occurred.
Finnley was a beautiful baby, who my wife and I will be forever proud of
"The fact that Blackpool Victoria Hospital have admitted the causation of his passing by not following procedures and breach of duty, is a small mercy in what has been an unimaginably difficult year.
"The level of neglect that Finnley suffered will never be forgiven and they will always be held accountable for the unnecessary loss of our first child."
He added: "The effect of our loss will forever be felt throughout our lives. Instead of celebrating birthdays and milestones with our son, we are forced to do so at his graveside.
"A way in which no parent should have to. Finnley was a beautiful baby, who my wife and I will be forever proud of."
We pay for your stories!
Do you have a story for The Sun news desk?
Email us at [email protected] or call 02077824104. You can WhatsApp us on 07423 720 250. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours
Click here to get The Sun newspaper delivered for FREE for the next six weeks.
Source: Read Full Article