THE QUEEN'S former spokesman has blasted Meghan and Harry for inviting a US TV network to Baby Sussex's extremely limited first photocall at Windsor Castle today.
Dickie Arbiter, 79, who served as the Queen's spokesman for 12 years until 2000, said the inclusion of CBS was "treading on dodgy ground".
The original plan was to have two TV cameras, one photographer and one reporter.
However, a pool camera from CBS was also added at the couple's insistence.
CBS's morning show is fronted by Meghan's close friend Gayle King, who was a guest at her lavish New York baby shower in February.
A Buckingham Palace spokesman said: "This reflects the international interest in the story."
However the decision infuriated Mr Arbiter, who wrote on Twitter: "Choosing a US Network, friend or not, is treading on dodgy ground. That the inclusion of CBS in the pool means the pictures will make US Breakfast Shows is a fatuous excuse."
Mr Arbiter had previously been critical of the Duchess' baby shower.
The event, named after the idea of showering an expectant mother with gifts, was estimated by outsiders to have cost £380,000, including the flights back to Britain in a private jet. It was held in The Mark, a hotel in Manhattan.
He said: "Baby showers are very much an American thing. We don't do it here in the UK. It was a bit over the top in terms of expense and the way she got there."
The main event on the five-night trip was a party thrown by Serena Williams, the tennis player, and Jessica Mulroney, the Canadian stylist.
Meghan returned from Teterboro airport in New Jersey with Amal Clooney, the human rights lawyer who is married to the actor George Clooney.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex's low key announcement today at Windsor Castle was in stark contrast to Kate Middleton and Prince William's baby reveals that saw hundreds of photographers snap pictures of their three children hours after they were born.
Fiercely protective of their privacy, the pair didn't even announce Meghan was in labour until their son had been born and, in a break with tradition, shunned the Lindo Wing of St Mary's Hospital in London where the Duchess of Cambridge gave birth to her three children.
Late on Sunday the Duchess was driven to the exclusive Portland private hospital in central London by Harry and their Scotland Yard security team.
Meghan remained in the £15,000-a-night hospital overnight before going into labour in the early hours of Monday morning.
Sources said the operation to get Meghan – who was a week overdue – to the clinic was so secret that even senior royals weren't told.
The American former actress gave birth to the overdue 7lb 3oz boy on Monday at 5.26am.
Showing off their baby to the world today Meghan said: "It's magic, it's pretty amazing. I have the two best guys in the world so I'm really happy."
Baby Sussex was sleeping soundly, wrapped in a white blanket and wearing a delicate white knitted hat.
Asked how he was finding parenting, Harry said: "It's great. Parenting is amazing.
"It's only been two-and-a-half days, three days, but we're just so thrilled to have our own little bundle of joy."
The baby, whose name has not yet been announced, is seventh in line to the throne.
Source: Read Full Article