Video shows body of San Jose shooter Samuel Cassidy after he killed himself

More On:

mass shootings

Widow of San Jose shooting victim reveals husband’s heartbreaking final moments

Cops locate SUV used by suspects in Miami mass shooting

Hysterical dad of Miami shooting victim begs to see son’s dead body: ‘I need to hold him’

Texas neo-Nazi arrested for planning mass shooting at Walmart: cops

Newly released police body-cam video shows the San Jose railyard worker who gunned down nine of his colleagues slumped in a chair, pistol in hand, after he shot himself twice in the head, officials said.

The footage was captured by one of the deputies who arrived while Samuel Cassidy, 57, was still firing at the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority bus and rail yard on Sunday.

A “contact team” of deputies and San Jose cops was immediately formed to find the armed assailant inside a building.

The chilling footage shows the five-member team cautiously climbing stairs to the third floor, where a VTA supervisor comes out with arms raised, and then gives them his keycard so officers can gain access.

The officers then sweep into the building using gun-mounted flashlights as they pass through rooms and corridors to a dispatch center.

Amid a series of gunshots, they approach a door where one of the team members peers through a small window and says: “I’ve got somebody down” inside.

They open the door and somebody yells, “Let me see your hands!”

Two more shots are then heard.

The video shows the man slumped in a chair near a stairwell – still clutching a gun — across from a dispatch center door with a window shattered by gunfire.

He had shot himself under the chin and then put the gun to the side of his head, Sheriff Laurie Smith said Tuesday.

It was unclear whether Cassidy knew the officers were closing in on him or not, Smith said, but he may have seen their flashlights and heard them yelling to each other.

She said her office used an active-shooter protocol advocated by a lieutenant who had been in Colorado during the 1999 Columbine school shooting there.

The deputies and officers “hardly spoke a word to each other” when they entered the building because “they knew what their job was,” Smith said.

“There were over 100 VTA employees on site that morning, and I believe the bravery of all of law enforcement personnel really prevented the loss of additional life,” she added.

Smith said investigators were still trying to determine the motive for the shootings, although acquaintances and Cassidy’s ex-wife said he had talked about hating his job at least a decade ago and had an angry and unpredictable streak.

“We’re beginning to piece things together. But we’ve talked with hundreds of witnesses,” she said.

With Post wires

Share this article:

Source: Read Full Article