Woman gunned down in Hackney was 'innocent bystander', police say

‘Innocent bystander’ woman in her 30s is gunned down and is left fighting for life after being caught in crossfire of shootout in Hackney

  • Woman in 30s was shot in Hackney, London, and is in life-threatening condition 
  • Scotland Yard appeals for witnesses as says the victim was not intended target
  • Witness told MailOnline he heard so many shots he thought it was fireworks 
  • Two men were also stabbed to death in incidents in Brixton and Kensal Green 
  • Do you know the female victim? Email [email protected] 

An ‘innocent bystander’ is fighting for her life today after being shot during a gunfight outside a convenience store on a busy London high street.

The unnamed woman, 32, is not believed to have been the target of the shooting in Westgate Street, Hackney, at just before 9pm last night, Scotland Yard has said. 

Police officers called to the scene administered CPR on the victim before paramedics arrived and took her to an East London hospital where her condition remains life-threatening.

One witness to the Hackney shooting told MailOnline today that he heard a volley of gunshots and saw the woman lying bleeding in the street moments after he told how he had been ‘challenged’ by a gang of 12 to 15 men. The group was wearing balaclavas outside the Sultan Food and Wine Convenience store opposite London Fields shortly after 8.30pm last night. 

Met Detective Inspector Matt Webb, said: ‘At this early stage, we believe that the victim was an innocent bystander’.  

He added: ‘I am urging anyone who was in the vicinity of Westgate Street last night to come forward and speak with us. We have been told that the area was busy at the time of the shooting, and I am confident that someone has information that will help our investigation’. There have been no arrests.

The shooting came on another day of bloodshed in London yesterday where two men were stabbed to death in separate incidents in Brixton, south London, and Kensal Green, north London. The number of murders in the capital in 2020 is now more than 100. 

Police today appealed for witnesses to a shooting where a woman described as an ‘innocent bystander’ was left fighting for her life. A crime scene remains in place

Police guard the crime scene in east London last night, outside a busy convenience store

A young male witness, who declined to be identified for fear of reprisals, told MailOnline: ‘What I saw was absolutely horrifying. I saw a young lying in the street bleeding. She was a white woman, normal looking, about 30 years old.

‘I was inside the shop when I heard the shots go off. There were six shots. It sounded like fireworks.

‘There were 12 or 15 men outside the shop. They had balaclavas on to hide their faces.

‘They stopped me as I was on my way into the shop. They asked me if I was from around here. But I said I had just arrived in London from abroad.

‘Then I went inside and that was when in heard the shooting.

‘I walked outside and saw the woman lying on the ground. It was horrible.

The man who lives locally added: ‘It must be a gang-thing. They were looking for people from the area.

‘There are often people from other areas coming here to London Fields to have beef. I don’t want anything to do with all that.’

Earlier in the evening – just before 6pm – a man in his 20s was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics after he was knifed in Brixton Hill, Lambeth.

And around 2pm, a man was stabbed to death in broad daylight in Kensal Green, north-west London. 

6pm yesterday: Forensic investigators and uniformed police officers stand in front of a forensic tent on the Blenheim Gardens Estate in Brixton after a man was stabbed to death

2pm yesterday: a man was stabbed to death in broad daylight in Kensal Green, north-west London. Pictured: Police at the scene yesterday

Following the Kensal Green attack – yesterday’s first incident in London – a murder probe was launched and a 50-year-old man has been arrested and is currently in police custody.  

Police officers, the London Ambulance Service and London Air Ambulance first arrived at the scene on Harrow Road at around 2pm.

Despite the efforts of the emergency services, the man was pronounced dead at the scene.

Officers remained on Harrow Road this evening and a part of Kensal Green Cemetery is cordoned off as they carry out their investigations. 

No further details about the victim have been given and enquiries are ongoing to trace his next of kin, the force said. 

In a statement the Metropolitan Police said: ‘Police were called at 14:00hrs on Sunday, 22 November to Harrow Road, Kensal Green to reports of a stabbing.

‘Officers, London Ambulance Service and London Air Ambulance attended and found a man-no further details- suffering from stab injuries. Despite the efforts of emergency services he was pronounced dead at the scene.

‘Enquiries are ongoing to trace his next of kin.

‘A 50-year-old man has been arrested in connection with this incident and is in police custody.

‘Officers remain in the area as enquiries continue.’

A woman in her 30s was rushed to hospital around 10pm last night after she was gunned down in Hackney, east London. She remains in a life-threatening condition. Pictured: Police at the scene

Then, just before 6pm, police were called to Ramillies Close, Brixton Hill to find a man stabbed. Pictured: Police at the scene

Then, just before 6pm, police were called to Ramillies Close, Brixton Hill to find a man stabbed. 

The victim, a man in his 20s, was pronounced dead at the scene and officers are trying to trace his next of kin.

No arrests have yet been made and a police cordon remains in place at the location.

Finally, at around 8.50pm on Sunday police were called to Westgate Street, Hackney, to reports of a shooting.

A woman in her 30s was treated by paramedics at the scene and then taken to an east London hospital where she remains in a life-threatening condition. 

No arrests have been made and an investigation is continuing.

Source: Read Full Article