Urgent health warning to tourists who visited popular Christmas ice rink | The Sun

DANGEROUS levels of carbon monoxide were found at a popular ice rink as visitors have reportedly been falling ill.

On Monday, an ice rink in Widness, an area of Liverpool, was forced to shut after dangerous levels of carbon monoxide were discovered.

It has been reported that the carbon monoxide leak coincided with an ice hockey game between the Widness Wild and Solihull Barons which was played on Saturday.

After the game people who went to watch the match reportedly started to feel unwell and as a result, Widness Wild urged fans to seek medical attention.

Taking to Twitter, now X the team said: "We're aware of several people reporting varying levels of illness after attending our game on Saturday.

"We have reported these to Planet Ice and will update everyone once we have received a response.

Read more on UK news


Couple jailed after toddler suffered brain injury in German Shepherd attack


Gunman who murdered Olivia Pratt-Korbel, 9, CANNOT challenge jail term

They added: "Anyone continuing to feel unwell should seek medical advice."

Gas supplier Cadent told the BBC that its engineers visited the contaminated site and isolated the gas supply to the building.

A spokesperson told them: "We were able to establish that the local gas network is sound and did not contribute to what has happened.

"The matter is now being looked into by environmental health teams."

Most read in The Sun


Stuart Hogg splits from wife & enjoys spa with ‘world’s sexiest jockey’


Alex Scott wows as she goes braless in see-through dress at GQ Men of the Year awards


Hamas terror cell INSIDE MRI suite at Gaza hospital revealed in IDF footage


MAFS UK groom QUITS reunion as he snubs show following dramatic marriage split

The ice rink, Planet Ice said: "Following concerns relating to a report of carbon monoxide levels at the rink at the weekend – Planet Ice Widnes is currently closed.

‘The cause of the concern has now been identified and addressed.

‘In the meantime, anyone who was present at the site at the weekend is advised to seek medical advice if they feel unwell.’

Fans left comments under both Planet Ice and Widnes's social media posts complaining of headaches and feeling unwell.

One person claimed that anyone pregnant who visited the venue should 'get checked over'.

Another person added: "We were checked out [by medical personnel] last night following symptoms. The walk-in then sent us to A&E."

While another claimed that a fan had been to the hospital and was told that he had carbon monoxide in his blood.

Carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms

CHECK if you have carbon monoxide poisoning

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:

  • headache
  • dizziness
  • feeling sick or being sick
  • feeling weak
  • confusion
  • chest and muscle pain
  • shortness of breath

According to the NHS, if you think you may have carbon monoxide poisoning you should:

  • stop using appliances you think are causing carbon monoxide to leak (boiler, cooker or heater) if you can
  • open any windows to get fresh air
  • go outside
  • get medical advice as soon as possible – do not go back into the affected building until you have got advice

Halton Borough Council and its environmental team are investigating the carbon monoxide leak.

In a statement, they said: "The council’s Environmental Health Team has attended Planet Ice on November 13 following reports of people feeling unwell after attending the rink on November 11."

A spokesperson for Environmental Health at the council told the Mail Online: "Investigations have continued, and testing carried out at the site identified carbon monoxide.

"The owners of the business have been informed and are working with us to ensure there is no further risk to the public. Planet Ice remains closed.

Read More on The Sun


Netflix axes FIVE series in most brutal TV cull yet – leaving fans devastated


Horror pictures show woman's arm bitten through to the bone by crazed dog

They added: "Environmental Health has advised the owners as to actions they can take to ensure that the incident does not occur again.

"It will remain closed until our officers are assured that it is safe."

Source: Read Full Article